Q. How do I control who can see and interact with my Haiku Learning Class?
A. Levels of access within Haiku classes are automatically distributed to visitors based on the Class Settings you have chosen and the Role of the user inside or outside of the class Roster.
Public and Private Classes
When a teacher creates or publishes a class, they are presented with an option to determine who the Class will be visible to through a drop-down menu. This option determines whether the class will be considered Public or Private in Haiku.
- Private Class: If the option Only people in this Class Roster has been selected, only individuals enrolled in the roster of the course will have access to the class. Users browsing to a Page or other area of the class will be presented with a login prompt instead of the desired page. After logging in, they will be taken to the appropriate area of the class.
- Public Class: If the option Anyone on the Web is selected, guests visiting from the web and users who are not logged in can view Page Content, the Calendar, and descriptions only of basic class features such as Announcements, Assessments, Assignments and Discussions. Guests will never be able to see Grades, handed-in assignments, Discussion Posts or Roster information for a class.
School & District Edition domains of Haiku Learning also have two additional visibility settings:
- Public to Organization: If the option All people in [the Organization of the Class] has been selected, all logged-in Students, Parents and Teachers associated within the Organization of the class will have access to view this class as a Guest.
- Public to Domain: If the option All people in [your Haiku Learning Domain] is selected, all logged-in users in your domain will have access to view this class as as Guest.
Regardless of the Public or Private status of a class, student data contained within the class will only be available to enrolled, logged-in users, as appropriate to their role in the class roster. In all cases, only the content relevant to a given user is displayed (e.g. only Joe Student can see Joe Student's homework and grades).
This setting can be changed at any time through the Class Settings area of the Manage Class menu.
Any Haiku class has four basic levels of access: Teacher, Student, Parent, and Guest. Permission levels within the class are automatically generated based on the individual's role in the Roster. If you are unsure of someone's role in the course, just take a look at the tab they occupy in your Roster through the Manage Class menu.
- Teachers control the classroom - from page content to enabling/disabling features for students and parents.
- Students can participate in all basic classroom features that the teacher has enabled, such as posting discussion responses, writing inbox messages, or taking assessments. Students will never see private information about other students (e.g. dropbox submissions, grades, attendance).
- Parents can see class content and access features that the teacher has enabled, but cannot interact with or see data that belongs to students in the class that aren't their children (e.g. a parent cannot participate in discussions or send an inbox message to another student). Parents can see some content that is relevant to their student, such as assignments and grades, but they will never see specifics, such as homework submissions or discussion posts.
- Guests can only see class content if the Only people in the Class Roster option is not selected. Guests can see teacher-generated class content (e.g. pages, calendar, announcements) but will never see any student-generated information (e.g. discussion posts, homework handed in to the dropbox) or private student-related data (e.g. grades, attendance).
Please note: Guest data is not filterable in Analytics at this time.